If you are visiting these pages for the very first time and you are in a hurry.......... do yourself a favor and click on the 'Hymno de las Islas Canarias'... (just below) It will give you an "Insight" into the Pride, Full Heartedness and generosity of the Tinerfenians..........Merry Christmas everyone.

Sunday 25 October 2009

Getting to know the language......the embarrassing way

So, I had just arrived in the house and was greeted by the words  "¿Estas vendiendo Vino, Señor?       Well, I understood that I was being asked if .....I was selling wine...... but what was the context? Had I forgotten something....perhaps a birthday....should I have brought some wine for tonight......  So, I had to ask  "¿Que?"...." ¿Que pasa?" The reply was very slow and very deliberate with a lot of mirth from all the Tinerfenians, "¿Estas vendiendo Vino, Señor?"           Now, hopelesslly confused by..... by a lack of understanding.......it was one of those moments!!       A long pause ensued.......... while sniggers and embarrassed laughs abounded.       Then Alexis sidled up to me and said "Tu cremallera esta abierto, Señor"  .....   it took a second or two for me to realise that I had walked in with my ZIP undone !!!     OMG..... the room erupted and I went bright Red............                  So, now you know what     "¿Estas vendiendo Vino, Señor?" really means....      What a great language!    So descriptive!          Now where's the nearest bottle, I need a drink.

2 comments:

  1. Very funny post and a phrase which is definitely worth knowing.

    Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure how useful the phrase will be in Hayes, Middlesex...but I'll try it out in a pub and see what reaction I get. Probably banned.....

    ReplyDelete